Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Kipp Newsletter to come

 It never ceases to amaze me how fast time passes. It is just over two weeks since I last posted on Edward's blog. 

In between cleaning today I shall think about the Kipp Newsletter once again and it is getting harder and harder to work on. I do not know the Kipp family other than what Edward told me but I have his research and want to be sure that all of it is out there. He put hours into collecting up all the data. I think a lot of it is but this will put it all in one place in his study group. I need to look at the yDNA results. There were several Kip/Kipp families in the United States and most people are interested in whether they descend from the 1630s-1640s Kip family emigrants to New Amsterdam (now New York) or the Kipp families who arrived from Germany in the 1730s-1740s. They do not appear to be the same family (yDNA) mostly because the Kip family surname was an addition to the Hendrick Hendricksen's name; the earliest emigrant in the Kip family of New Amsterdam and not surprisingly he was from The Netherlands. Although his birth place in The Netherlands, it  was very close to the present day German border and this territory passed back and forth somewhat. The Kipp family that came in the 1700s actually have Kipp as their surname and one of the actual descendants of the German Kipp family has tested his yDNA (he and his line are still in Europe) which has been rather handy and let it be possible to separate for sure the Kip family of New Amsterdam/New York from the German Kipp families who came at a later date. I should actually put this section into Edward's blog and will do that later today. So probably, as there are new people coming into the project, I should look at the DNA project there. He did that himself for the most part although did help with the grouping when he asked me (I love working with data and appear to have a good handle on doing that but I am a numbers person). 

This is the time of year that Edward most loved; planting and growing season. Mid-march would see the seed catalogues on his desk and then mid-April setting up the growing lights and then the seeds planted in their peat pots and under the lights. Watching them every day so that he could move the lights upward as the plants grew. 

On to the day and it looks like rain somewhat and it is expected but for sure cloud. It is three degrees celsius at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment